Two Spirit, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Non-binary and other people who experience marginalization due to their sexual orientation and gender identity (2SLGBTQ+) are more likely to experience health disparities compared to non- 2SLGBTQ+ counterparts due to stigma, discrimination and social isolation experienced in accessing health care. 2SLGBTQ+ people remain invisible to many organizations in Ontario, despite being estimated as 1 to 1.25 million of our province’s population. The majority of healthcare providers still have no formal education or training in 2SLGBTQ+ health, including training related to how to provide accessible care as well as how to meet specific clinical and other health needs. In addition, there remain significant gaps in policy and research, making the development of comprehensive strategies more difficult.
The Alliance strives to meaningfully recognize and incorporate the specific needs and perspectives of this community in our work and among our members. To enable this, the Alliance has a Rainbow Advisory Group. Its objectives are:
- to foster change within the community-governed primary health care sector to produce a more accepting environment for members of 2SLGBTQ+ communities;
- to facilitate increased access to existing resources for those wanting to understand more about providing services to 2SLGBTQ+ communities; and
- to support a practice network of providers in community-governed primary health care settings through knowledge, skills and capacity building to enhance the delivery of care to 2SLGBTQ+ clients.
- Rainbow Health Ontario and AOHC Joint Submission on Patients First
- Rainbow Health Ontario (RHO) - RHO is a province-wide program that works to improve the health and wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people in Ontario through education, research, outreach, and public policy advocacy.
- Egale Canada Human Rights Trust
- 2-Spirited People of the First Nations
- Trans PULSE
- Re:searching for LGBTQ2S+ Health
- LGBTQ and TwoSpirit - Native Women's Association of Canada
- Mapping the Void: Two-Spirit and LGBTQ+ Experiences in Hamilton - This 99-page report, written by McMaster students in partnership with the AIDS network of Hamilton, includes a wealth of qualitative and quantitative data, including data on socioeconomic and health disparities.