Traditional Youth Counsellor
Traditional Youth Counsellor
Full-time continuing position
As a fully accredited community health centre, Anishnawbe Health Toronto offers access to health care practitioners from many disciplines including Traditional Healers, Elders and Medicine People. We seek a qualified candidate for the position of Traditional Youth Counsellor.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Providing counselling, primarily to individuals aged 12-24, through a model of culturally-based interventions
- Assisting clients to identify their issues, determine their healing path and establish their goals
- Providing care that integrates teachings and traditional healing modalities and reflects an understanding of health issues facing the Aboriginal community, such as the effects of colonization and the residential school system
- In collaboration with other healthcare practitioners, ensuring that client care plans utilize the full resources of the organization, particularly the Traditional Healers, Elders and Medicine People
Qualifications and Experience:
- College Diploma / Certificate or University Degree in Social Service sector or equivalent combination of education, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with case management, mental health counselling and outreach
- Strong understanding of counselling ethics, including consent, confidentiality, and boundaries
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Thorough understanding of issues affecting Aboriginal People in an urban setting
- Well-developed knowledge of Aboriginal culture, history, traditions, medicines and healing approaches
- Knowledge of Aboriginal language an asset
- Training and / or experience in Traditional Counselling
- Working knowledge of issues facing Aboriginal Youth
- Experience using an Electronic Medical Records system for documentation
How to Apply
Submit your resume and cover letter in one document, with your name and “Traditional Counsellor” in the document name, by email to email@example.com If you have questions about the application process, please call 416-920-2605 x.332.
Closing date: March 12, 2021
Anishnawbe Health Toronto offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, a commitment to your professional development and a supportive workplace environment.
Applicants who self-identify as Aboriginal and meet the requirements of the job posting will be given first consideration in the hiring process
Anishnawbe Health Toronto is committed to diversity and values the contribution of its employees from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We welcome applications from Aboriginal persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who contribute to greater diversity of perspectives.
(If you are invited for an interview and require accommodation, please let us know)
Meegwetch to all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted