Full-time, permanent - 35 hours per week
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Operating out of six locations, Unison offers core services that include primary health care, counselling, health promotion, Early Years programs, legal services, harm reduction programs, housing assistance, adult protective services, Pathways to Education™ and a Diabetes Education Program (DEP). Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
Unison Health and Community Services is committed to working from an inclusive, pro-choice, sex positive, harm reduction, anti-racist, anti-oppression and participatory framework.
At Unison, we are passionate about the work that we do and the difference that we make in our communities; we share food, fun and laughter; we celebrate our sameness and our differences and each others’ unique contributions; we are supportive, welcoming and we challenge each other to grow.
If you are a team player, client-focused, innovative and would like to make a difference, Unison is the right place for you!
Unison is seeking a full-time Junior Staff Lawyer to join our Legal Clinic. The Unison Legal Clinic is one of 73 community legal clinics in the Province of Ontario offering services to people with low income. Our legal team includes lawyers, community legal workers and support staff. Legal services include summary legal advice, legal representation, public legal education, community outreach and development, and law reform.
- Advise clients of their legal rights and all matters related to poverty (clinic) law, particularly in the areas of;
- Housing Law
- Provide summary advice and representation to clients at all levels of tribunals and court as required
- Prepare legal documents and pleadings as required
- Perform administrative and management functions related to the practice of law
- Provide supervision as required
- Provide legal advice/Information to the public seeking legal information; where required, provide referrals to appropriate community/legal resources.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Demonstrated experience in poverty law, particularly housing, income maintenance, and immigration law
- Experience in dealing with disadvantaged groups and individuals and awareness of their problems
- General knowledge of community resources, cultural patterns
- The ability to communicate with, and address the needs of people from a variety of social and cultural backgrounds
- The ability to listen to the client’s request for service and demonstrate good interviewing skills
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends, and to work out of multiple locations as required.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to email a résumé with covering letter by Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 5:00 pm to:
Vinay Jain, Director of Legal Services
Unison Health and Community Services
Please cite UN_2021_026 in the subject line of the email.
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
Where needed, accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided, on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.