You are here
Registered Practical Nurse – Jane-Trethewey Site
Registered Practical Nurse – Jane-Trethewey Site
(6 month contract: December 2019 to June 2020, Full-time 35 hours per week)
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Operating out of six locations, Unison offers core services that include primary health care, counselling, health promotion, Early Years programs, legal services, harm reduction programs, housing assistance, adult protective services, Pathways to Education and Diabetes Education Program. Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
Unison Health and Community Services is committed to working from an inclusive, pro-choice, sex positive, harm reduction, anti-racist, anti-oppression and participatory framework.
We are seeking a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) to join our multidisciplinary team at the Jane-Trethewey site. The position will provide clinical support, perform certain laboratory procedures, and maintain equipment and medical, laboratory and pharmaceutical supplies, deliver health promotion, disease prevention education and home support services.
- Co-ordinate care for clients as delegated
- Perform triage and triage support for Medical Secretary
- Provide support to primary care providers through obtaining vital signs, height and weight, visual screenings, and urine checks for clients prior to their visit with clinician
- Assist with administrative clinical follow-up such as calling clients with test results and requesting follow-up appointments as required
- Reconcile laboratory tests with results requested by primary care providers, and liaise with laboratories if there are errors or delays
- Schedule and administer immunizations for clients of all ages
- Obtain ECG tracings
- Administer venipuncture, non-immunization related injections, other tests and procedures ordered by primary care providers, e.g. TB skin test, Pap test, urine test, middle ear cleaning, counselling for prenatal genetic test, STI screening
- Coordinate Home and Community Care services for clients, and report communicable diseases to Toronto Public Health
- Monitor and order medical supplies for examination rooms, medical supplies cupboards, procedure room and laboratory
- Monitor and order supplies of vaccines, monitor and ensure vaccine integrity storage and maintenance according to Public Health standards
- Conduct autoclave reprocessing of re-usable equipment, weekly autoclave preventive maintenance, monthly biological testing, and keep maintenance record
- Assist with the maintenance and ordering of medical equipment
- Maintain complete, accurate and timely client records and encounter data, participate in chart and case reviews and support client education
- To lead and monitor infection prevention and control activities of the site
- To participate agency-wide meetings representing the site
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience working as a Registered Practical Nurse in a community and/or public health setting
- Registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Ability to work flexible hours, including one evening per week and one Saturday per month as needed
- Demonstrated expertise in medical laboratory procedures
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of medical and laboratory terminology, medical record procedures and charting, universal precautions and other current health and safety hazards
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work within a community-based context, with a culturally diverse community
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills, including computer literacy skills specific to job requirements
- Knowledge of issues affecting communities facing barriers to access in an urban environment
- Ability to speak a second language an asset
- 1 to 2 years experience in a community-based setting
- Experience serving Unison’s priority populations (seniors with complex needs, people with mental health and addictions, LGBTTQ2+, and youth facing barriers).
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by December 13, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. to:
RPN Hiring Committee – Jane-Trethewey site
Unison Health and Community Services
Please cite UN_2019_043 in the subject line of the email.
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
Where needed, accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.