You are here
Registered Nurse – Diabetes Education Program
Kitchener Downtown Community Health Centre provides a broad range of services aimed at improving the health of individuals and the wider community. These services address the social determinants of health and include medical care, health promotion, illness prevention and community capacity building.
Our expertise and resources are focused on working with those who experience health inequities and barriers to accessing health services. KDCHC works with the most complex client population served by primary health care professionals within Waterloo Region. Collaborating as an interdisciplinary team, we provide services and supports that address socioeconomic factors and barriers such as poverty, inadequate housing, food insecurity, substance use, language and culture, as well as stigma and social exclusion.
Our highly skilled and diverse team works from a strength-based approach with individual clients as well as the broader community. We collaborate with many partner agencies and organizations within Waterloo Region. Our team consists of Family Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, Social Workers, Dietitians, Chiropodists, Pharmacists, Psychiatrists, Health Promoters, Community Health Workers, Administrative Staff and Volunteers.
We invite you to consider this opportunity to join our team and contribute to this important work.
KDCHC is currently recruiting for the following position:
Registered Nurse – Diabetes Education Program
Contract Full-time – Maternity Leave
Approximately October 14, 2019 to February 19, 2021
The Registered Nurse (RN), Diabetes Education Program provides community-based health assessment, diabetes self-management education, insulin starts and adjustments and behaviour change support for people living with type 2 diabetes in the Kitchener Waterloo region.
The RN, Diabetes Education Program functions within a client-centered health team, in collaboration with KDCHC staff, Primary Care Practitioners, Endocrinologists, Community Partners and the Waterloo Community Diabetes program.
The Registered Nurse, Diabetes Education Program participates in the development, delivery and evaluation of programs and services for KDCHC and the regional Waterloo Community Diabetes Program.
- Provide individual and group education, health counselling and behaviour change support within RN scope of practice (as determined by the College of Nurse of Ontario).
- Implement client centered insulin initiation and/or ongoing diabetes management orders as authorized by referring/primary care practitioner.
- Maintain accurate and up to date clinical notes in accordance with College guidelines and KDCHC policy.
- Participate in planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Diabetes Education programs for individuals and client populations as determined by KDCHC and the Waterloo Community Diabetes Program.
- Participate in quality initiatives as determined by KDCHC and the Waterloo Community Diabetes Program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BScN or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Current registration and good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Three years nursing experience, preferably in a community setting.
- Experience with the development and delivery of health education and promotion programs.
- Strong health assessment and clinical skills.
- Experience in diabetes education and care, preferably having achieved and then maintained the Certified Diabetes Educator qualification.
- Demonstrated experience in insulin management is an asset.
- Experience using evidence-base behaviour change concepts in chronic disease self management.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and software programs including Microsoft Office, email and internet. Experience with electronic medical records is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbally. Second language is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Experience working effectively with culturally and economically diverse populations
- Valid driver’s license, access to a personal vehicle and minimum $1,000,000 liability insurance
- Ability to obtain a Police Vulnerable Sector Check satisfactory to KDCHC.
Salary Range: $ 61,639 to $74,265 per annum, depending upon experience
- Paid Vacation Leave: 3 weeks annually
- Paid Public Holidays & Sick Leave
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan (through HOOPP)
- Extended Health and Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death insurance
- Employee Assistance Plan
How to Apply
Application Process: Applications through INDEED.ca ARE PREFERRED
Send a resume and a cover letter, detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to:
Kitchener Downtown Community Health Centre
44 Francis Street South, Kitchener Ontario N2G 2A2
email and attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the subject line: RN-Diabetes Education Recruitment
Application Deadline: Monday October 14, 2019
KDCHC values the diversity of its staff and welcomes applications from people of all races, ethnicity, religions, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and those with disabilities.
Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise the recruitment contact noted above so that suitable arrangements can be made.
Personal information submitted will only be used for the purposes of this recruitment process.
We appreciate all expressions of interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.