You are here
1-year maternity leave contract (July 2020 – June 2021), 0.7 FTE (24.5 hrs/week)
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre (Parkdale Queen West CHC) is a dynamic, community-based health care organization serving mid-west downtown Toronto. Offering a broad range of services, including primary health care, dental care, harm reduction, health promotion, counselling, and community development programming, we are also committed to serving people who face barriers to health care, and we strive to reduce these barriers. PQWCHC is a multi-sited organization.
General Responsibilities: The Physician provides comprehensive, oriented primary health care, which emphasizes accessibility, health promotion, illness prevention and continuity of care for homeless and street involved adults and youth, families, children, refugees and other individuals who occupy our large urban catchment. The physician functions both independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Majority of work will be based at the Queen West site; the position may be expected to work across sites.
Reporting Manager: Manager, Primary Care Services
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
1. Patient Care and Community Involvement
- Provide primary care directly, emphasizing accessibility, health promotion, illness prevention and continuity of care.
- Provides primary care indirectly by working interactively with nurse practitioners, providing consultation to nurses or other staff, and by developing medical or clinical protocols.
- Provides on-call coverage on a rotating shared basis with other physicians to ensure that medical care can be accessed 24 hours per day throughout the entire year.
- Maintains hospital privileges, if possible, at a convenient downtown hospital.
- Participates in community outreach, patient education, and prevention programs.
- Works collaboratively with staff, external health care providers and partner agencies on projects, health promotion activities, health teaching initiatives, etc.
2. Teaching and Research
- Participates in the design, implementation, and evaluation of research studies in consultation with the Director of Primary Care and other staff.
- Acts as a supervisor and consultant to health care students and participates in the learning of students from other disciplines.
- Provides leadership, supervision and guidance in the general organization and operation of the clinic’s medical activities.
- Maintains patient files, encounter information, correspondence, clinical protocols, and other data to meet the requirements of the Ministry of Health, the clinic, and regulatory bodies.
- Shares in the general care and maintenance of the clinical area e.g. ordering, stocking, and organizing medical supplies and equipment.
- CPSO registration, CCFP certificate preferred.
- Experience working with clients who identify as LGBTTQ.
- Experience working with people who have history of substance use and /or mental health issues.
- Member in good standing of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and the College of Family Physicians of Canada.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and interdependently in a multi-disciplinary team environment in which the skills and responsibilities of each team member are recognized and respected
- Demonstrated understanding of the role and responsibility of staff of Parkdale Queen West in addressing the diverse and complex health and social needs of community member, particularly those experiencing poverty and discrimination.
- Willingness to participate in Parkdale Queen West’s commitment to becoming discrimination free Health Centre.
- Fluency in languages other than English is an asset.
Compensation: $186,510 - $212,438 with on call stipend $5,353 (to be pro-rated to FTE)
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining in a creative and dedicated team to make things better, we want to hear from you! Please send your resume and cover letter in a single document (MS Word or PDF format only) to email@example.com , quoting “Physician - 0.7FTE- ML” in the subject line. The deadline for application is by 5pm of June 3, 2020. We truly appreciate your interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please also note that the successful candidate will be required to provide a criminal reference check as a condition of employment.