You are here
Nurse Practitioner-Primary Care, Jane-Trethewey Site
Part-time, permanent, 14 hours per week
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Operating out of five locations, Unison offers core services that include primary health care, case management and counseling, health promotion, Early Years programs, legal services, harm reduction programs, housing assistance, adult protective services, Pathways to Education and a Diabetes Education Program. Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high-quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
Unison is committed to working from an inclusive, pro-choice, sex positive, harm reduction, anti-racist, anti-oppression and participatory framework.
At this time Unison is seeking a keen and committed Nurse Practitioner-Registered Nurse, Extended Class – RN (EC) for our Jane-Trethewey site. The RN (EC) diagnoses and manages common health problems and diseases as part of the multidisciplinary, primary health care team.
- Perform clinical duties within the full scope of practice, including assessments, diagnosis, treatment, follow up, counseling, screening, education and referral. Duties may be performed at the centre through appointments and walk-ins and in the community through home visits
- Work with the primary health care team and other health centre teams to identify and take action on community health issues.
- Work collaboratively through consultation and support across teams to ensure the best possible health outcomes for the clients
- Participate in peer audits with the primary care team
- Participate in team and organization-wide meetings and committees, initiatives and events
- Develop work goals in conjunction with supervisor, identifying action plans, learning objectives and professional development needs
- Participate in performance appraisal process including self-evaluation component
- Adhere to all policies and procedures of the organization
- Submit encounter data and/or statistics, administrative forms and reports in a timely fashion
- Orient, supervise and support students and/or volunteers as required
- Identify, report and debrief on client safety incidents, good catches, occupational health and safety incidents and near misses
- Other duties as required
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work within a community-based context, with a culturally diverse community from a harm reduction approach
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational and administrative skills, including computer literacy skills specific to job requirements
- Knowledge of issues affecting communities facing barriers to access in an urban environment
- 1-2 years’ experience in a community-based setting
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in the Registered Nurse-Extended Class with no restrictions to practice
- Demonstrated sound clinical judgment and strong health assessment and diagnostic skills
- 3-5 years’ experience as a Primary Care NP in a community-based setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and sensitivity to, the impact of social, economic, environmental and cultural issues on diverse communities
- Familiarity with the social, economic and cultural conditions of the Jane-Trethewey area
- Commitment to pro-choice philosophy
- Demonstrated commitment to equity goals and principles, to sexual and reproductive rights, to being youth positive, LGBTQ positive and sex positive and to being inclusive of diverse sexual and gender identities
- Experience serving Unison’s priority populations (seniors with complex needs, people with mental health and addictions, LGBTTQ+, and youth facing barriers)
- Ability to work flexible hours
Preference will be given to candidates available to work one evening per week and one Saturday per month.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to email a résumé with covering letter by 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 18, 2018 to:
Hiring Committee – Nurse Practitioner, Jane-Trethewey Site
Unison Health and Community Services
Please cite UN_2018_055 in the subject line of the email
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
Where needed, accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.