You are here
One of a network of over 75 provincial community health centres, the NorWest Community Health Centers is a community based, non-profit organization funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and the North West Local Health Integration Network, emphasizing access to primary health care and prevention programs and services.
We are currently seeking a 1 FTE Midwife, who as a valuable member of the Community Health Centre team will provide services within their scope of practice at the Thunder Bay, Longlac and Armstrong locations. There is a strong emphasis on disease prevention, health promotion and education and community partnerships. This is a new position.
There is no on call required.
- A General Registrant in good standing with the College of Midwives of Ontario and QAP up to date.
- Member of the Association of Ontario Midwives, current HIROC liability insurance certificate or eligible to obtain HIROC liability insurance.
- Up to date NRP, FHS, CPR, and Emergency skills certification.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working as a midwife.
- Demonstrated experience not only in the provision of low-risk, but also complex prenatal, intra-partum and post-partum care for pregnant clients and their babies, including experience with an expanded midwifery scope of practice such as performing and evaluating NST’s, managing clients with GDM, managing epidurals, oxytocin, augmentation and induction of labour.
- Demonstrated practice of providing compassionate, respectful, non-judgmental and culturally sensitive care in an informed choice model.
- Highly motivated to work with high needs populations and open to working in a new model of care as an employee of NWCHC’s.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to health issues particular within populations who face barriers to accessing care (homeless, under housed, street affected, living with mental health illness, active or past drug use, complex health histories, 2SLGBTQI+, newcomers, non-insured).
- Creative thinker with the ability to generate new ideas and challenge assumptions.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Program development experiences an asset.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology/software (Microsoft Office, Outlook etc.)
- Clinical experience with 2SLGBTQI+ population an asset.
- Experience with contraceptive care (prescribing OCPs, inserting IUDs) an asset.
- Experience with fertility treatment (IUI or home-like insemination) with 2SLGBTQI+ clients an asset.
- Willing to obtain training and be involved in providing comprehensive birth control and reproductive options upon approval for inclusion within the “Midwifery Scope of Practice.”
- Experience using an Electronic Medical Record system (EMR) an asset.
- Successful candidate will be required to apply for and obtain and maintain privileges at TBRHSC and Geraldton District Hospital.
- Experience with utilizing BORN System.
- A current driver's license and ability to a vehicle to travel to designated outreach clinics.
- There may be an opportunity for deliveries (THERE WILL BE NO ON CALL).
How to Apply
How to Apply - Please Specify Job Title in Email Subject Line
The deadline for applicants is Friday, August 24, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. and will be open until filled.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and three work reference contacts to:
NWCHC’s is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.