You are here
Parkdale Queen West CHC is a non-profit registered charity, community-based health organization committed to improving the health of community members, particularly those at risk for poverty and discrimination. Our multi-disciplinary approach includes the provision of primary health/dental care, counselling, harm reduction, community development, advocacy, and innovative partnerships with other organizations. Parkdale Queen West is a leader in the development of inner-city health services focusing on the needs of homeless and street involved adults and youth, families, children and individuals living in the catchment area. Parkdale Queen West is a pro-choice and LGBTTQ and 2-Spirit -positive organization committed to employment equity and anti-discrimination. Our facilities are fully accessible.
The Medical Secretary provides administrative support to providers. The responsibilities of the Medical Secretary include: responding to client inquiries, booking appointments, making referrals, retrieving, managing and filing charts, supporting client intake and reception. As an important interface with the community, this position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This position is utilized to fill vacancies, generally short term and on short notice, and hours vary based on the service needs.
- Answers all incoming multi-line telephone inquiries, takes messages and ensures that messages are delivered to appropriate personnel;
- Responds to walk-in queries regarding services and programs from clients and the general public. Greets visitors/clients in a professional manner, welcoming and helpful;
- Provides accurate and up to date information regarding PQWCHC program and service requests;
- Registers new clients and checks and updates all relevant client information;
- Books appointments for clients with centre staff and schedules appointments for clients with specialists and for diagnostic tests; Revises providers’ schedules as necessary;
- Prepares, maintains, updates, retrieves tracks and files charts manually and electronically; Prepares referral and consultation letters as directed by providers;
- Implements document management and distribution systems and inventory of forms and supplies;
- Contacts laboratories and agencies to request results and resolves issues with health cards, codes etc.;
- Intervenes effectively with clients in crisis.
- Three to five years of Administrative support experience in a fast paced environment, preferably a community health care setting; or work with marginalized communities;
- Diploma in health or human services office administration or relevant combination of academic preparation and demonstrated equivalent experience;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, and prioritizes competing demands;
- Demonstrated experience in crisis prevention with clients who have escalated behaviours; ability to maintain a calm demeanor in the midst of a crisis;
- Sensitivity to the life circumstances of people living in poverty and who may face mental health and addiction challenges; ability to demonstrate a nonjudgmental attitude and ability to treat people respectfully regardless of their choices; understanding of principles of Access and Equity.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications.
Accountable to: Primary Care and Administrative Coordinator
The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to participate in Parkdale Queen West’s commitment to becoming a discrimination-free health centre and an ability to work interdependently and respectfully in a multi-disciplinary team. Languages other than English are an asset. To better represent the communities we serve, applications from members of Aboriginal peoples, racial or cultural minority groups, people with disabilities and LGBTTQ and 2 spirit communities are encouraged to apply. Parkdale Queen West is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Salary Rate: $ 20.78 to 25.02 / hour + 4% vacation pay.
How to Apply
Please forward your cover letter and resume to:
Subject Line: PQWCHC Job # MS510
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centres
168 Bathurst Street, Toronto ON M5V 2R4
We regret that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.