You are here
Manager, Quality Improvement, Planning and Evaluation
Position Title: Manager, Quality Improvement, Planning and Evaluation
Reporting to: Executive Director
Employment Type : Regular - Full-Time
Pay Range: $40.64 - $47.82 / Hour + Benefits
Application Deadline: Friday June 21, 2019 @5:00 PM EST
The Manager, Quality Improvement, Planning and Evaluation, is responsible and accountable for planning, decision making, implementation, and ensuring satisfactory outcomes of: various quality improvement initiatives; planning and monitoring of project and organizational wide initiatives; research initiatives; and evaluation activities. To support these activities, the manager supervises a small team with expertise in communication, data analysis and data management. The Manager oversees centre-wide Accreditation activities. As an integral support to the senior team, the Manager provides leadership and technical expertise on an on-going basis for various initiatives while working in collaboration with funders, other managers and staff, and community partners.
All SWCHC Managers are responsible for creating a culture aligned with the mission and vision, fostering trust in the workplace, health equity and exemplifying the attributes of an effective manager and leader commensurate to their position.
The Manager liaises and collaborates with external groups/agencies in order to ensure effective and comprehensive service delivery and represents SWCHC in various groups and coalitions that support planning and evaluation aligned with the mission and vision of SWCHC.
For the purposes of the Signing Authority/Spending Limits Policy, the manager has the authority to develop program budgets and authorize expenditures within approved program operating budget and in accordance with SWCHC policies.
The Manager is responsible for all general management functions related to staffing for this portfolio; select and hire staff as assigned, develop and implement individual and team work plans, supervise staff, conduct performance reviews and approve leave requests for direct staff.
The Manager consults with the Executive Director on the following: significant legal issues; serious staff performance issues; non-routine budget adjustments or submissions; and other significant issues which may impact SWCHC.
- Undergraduate degree in related discipline
- Master’s degree in quality improvement, business or health administration, health promotion, information management or related discipline
- Minimum of 3 years of direct project management experience in the areas of quality improvement, planning, and evaluation of community programs. Prior publication or experience working on research projects preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of direct management experience, including supervision, budget, and planning responsibilities. Preference for prior experience in the non-profit or health care sector
- 5 to 7 years experience in a community health setting
- Experience in designing and leading corporate strategic planning initiatives
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficient with word processing and Excel spreadsheets at the advanced level with ability to “tell a story” using data. Able to do quantitative and qualitative analysis, including mastery of applying descriptive statistics.
- Demonstrated broad based management skills including planning, business acumen, change management, human resources and finance. Sound judgment and decision- making skills, and ability to delegate.
- Excellent critical analysis, problem solving and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral, communication skills, preferably in both official languages. Strong presentation skills.
- Proven ability working collaboratively with internal and external partners within diverse multi-disciplinary teams. This includes demonstrated interpersonal, teambuilding, mentoring skills which support innovation and success within a rapidly changing and complex environment.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and manage multiple projects and demands, and flexibility to achieve organizational goals.
- Excellent attention to detail, reliable, and able to meet the physical demands of the job.
- Understanding of the Community Health Centre model of care and ability to apply this within the scope of work.
- Ability to understand and articulate public policy and its implications for the communities we serve
Planning and Strategic Directions
- Takes a leadership role in assisting the Executive Director and the Board to initiate and oversee strategic and operational planning.
- Develops, evaluates, maintains and improves a corporate wide accountability framework, including overseeing the process to establish and monitor performance targets (Accountability Agreements).
- Engages staff, community and clients in planning and liaising with other community health organizations (e.g. CHCs).
- Responsible for initiating and supporting program development, planning, evaluation across SWCHC with an emphasis on program areas prioritized by the Executive Director.
- As part of the planning role, provides support for the development and implementation of new projects, programs and strategic initiatives.
- Leads, finalizes, and ensures success of operating plan and workplans within portfolio.
- Conducts research and prepares briefs to interpret public policies and community issues.
Program Evaluation and Research
- Initiates and develops evaluation and quality management approaches across all departments by ensuing that programs and activities are consistent with the SWCHC strategic and operational goals.
- Oversees the development and implementation of evaluation frameworks for programs and initiatives. Assists and guides staff as required in carrying out program evaluations, including identification of external and internal resources.
- Leads coordination of research efforts, both internal, and in conjunction with external investigators and organizations. Maintains an inventory of research involving SWCHC staff or clients.
- Maintains an up to date inventory of SWCHC program evaluations and logic models and ensures that copies are accessible.
- Responsible for the full spectrum of developing and implementing information management processes.
- Works with data management staff, to ensures timely and accurate reporting of various outcome requirements and measures.
- Develops and monitors indicators to track centre-wide progress towards strategic and operational goals and funder requirements as part of a corporate accountability framework.
- Researches, analyses and reports on various ad-hoc projects as directed by the Executive Director.
- Works with the Accreditation Coordinator- Executive Services to oversee the preparation CCA accreditation.
- Initiates and ensures successful completion of a variety of quality improvement activities across the organization, utilizing best practices and quality improvement tools and approaches.
- In collaboration with the Manager of Corporate Services and the Leadership Team develops and facilitates the use of a risk management plan to support operational and strategic planning.
- Staff Lead for the Board Quality Oversight Committee.
- Responsible for ensuring SWCHC meets the requirement of Health Quality Ontario.
- Provides leadership for the collection and analysis of Client Experience and workplace culture data across SWCHC.
Support to the Executive Director, Board, and Management
- Provides on-going support to the Executive Director for specific projects and activities.
- As required prepares Centre-wide and Board policies and procedures.
- As required, develops and coordinates centre wide plans or strategic initiatives to address identified priorities.
- Manager responsible for ensuring internal and external communications are in place to promote awareness of and participation in organizational activities (e.g., annual report, press releases, social media, internal organizational wide communications, etc.).
- Regularly communicates to management, staff teams, and external agencies on issues related to quality improvement, planning and implementation of various initiatives and strategies, as well as research and evaluation activities.
Management and Supervision
- Responsible for all front line management responsibilities related to the Manager’s staff, including but not limited to the recruitment process, work plans, performance and coaching, leading team meetings, communications, scheduling, ensuring the health and safety of staff, etc.
- Delegates and monitors work as appropriate. Organizes team planning events and is responsible for resultant team plans.
- Leads by example in making decisions and solving problems which mitigate risk in situations which are complex and ambiguous, using data to support decision making. Demonstrates consistency, fairness, and promptness in decision making and communicates decisions in a transparent and clear manner. Chairs/organizes team meetings, sets agendas, facilitates discussion and information flow; promotes and enhances team functioning through support, coaching and conflict resolution. Consults with Executive Director and Manager, Corporate Services on significant human resource issues.
- Leads the development of new and expanded services within portfolio. Ensures program policies and procedures are updated as per established policy.
- As needed participates in management rotation for “on call” duties after hours and on weekends.
- Fosters an organizational culture consistent with the SWCHC mission, vision, and values. As a member of management ensures transparent decision making, accountability, and communication processes are in place across SWCHC.
- Creates and maintains effective relationships with management and staff.
- Provides or arranges training to various staff on tools and processes related to quality improvement, planning, evaluation, and research.
- Respects and values the diversity of the community and individuals.
- Supports the Centre’s student placement programs.
- Contributes to the Centre’s work by participation in activities that seek to strengthen collaborative and interdisciplinary teamwork, such as intercomponent committees and working groups, strategic planning and accreditation.
- Contributes to the Centre’s practices of hiring, orienting and training of employees.
- Participates actively in team meetings.
- Consults with and provides support to team members and other SWCHC employees regarding professional issues.
- Provides leadership in the Centre’s strategic planning process.
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures by providing feedback in the Centre’s policy development process.
- Works in a manner that incorporates health promotion and recognizes determinants of health.
- Participates in team and individual professional development opportunities.
- Upholds the Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression Policy.
Occupational Health and Safety
The employee must also work within the scope of all legislative and Centre policies related to occupational health and safety. In this capacity, the employee:
- Must read and follow the Centre’s occupation health and safety policies.
- Must have an OH&S Review at the beginning of their employment.
- Must participate in any mandatory training the Centre provides including WHMIS, Worker or Supervisor Health and Safety Training.
- Must complete the AODA training.
- Must participate in Non Violence Crisis Intervention Training.
General Employee Responsibilities
- Contributes to the Centre’s activities to collect, analyse and report on data and relevant information and participate in research.
- Preserves confidentiality of all client and employee information and seeks to minimize risk while working with data.
- Submits records of time worked and time off in a timely manner.
- Maintains and develops professional competence, through appropriate continuing education methods (e.g. peer interaction, literature review, conferences, courses, staff development leave, etc.) and maintain professional credentials as appropriate.
- Complies and adheres to all applicable Centre policies and procedures.
- Adhere to the Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression Policy.
How to Apply
Please submit your letter of interest and résumé no later than Friday June 21, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST to: https://swchc.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=197
If at any stage in the selection process you require special accommodation, please let us know the nature of the required accommodation.
Somerset West Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer who values the diversity of individuals in our programs and services.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we can neither confirm receipt of nor respond to inquiries regarding your application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.