You are here
Harm Reduction Outreach Lead
Harm Reduction Outreach Lead
Contract Position: 35 hours per week
Contract Period: January 2019 to March 2019 (potential for renewal)
Salary: $18.00/hour to $24.12 per hour
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
Under the general supervision of the Manager, Adult Programs, and working within program objectives and organizational goals, the Harm Reduction Outreach Lead plans and coordinates a safe bi-weekly drop-in space for drug users to access harm reduction supplies and information related to health, and conducts and organizes regular street outreach activities. This position oversees the scheduling of 2 contract staff, participates and advocates for Harm Reduction in the community and within LAMP, and works front-line with program participants.
The incumbent will ensure that all organizational policies are followed.
- Staff Harm Reduction Drop-In Programs, ensuring safety of participants, staff and volunteers.
- Schedule and conducts weekly outreach to distribute harm reduction supplies, overdose prevention information, and harm reduction information in staff and volunteer teams.
- Work collaboratively with Manager to complete program budget, grants and funder relations.
- Provide formal training and regular guidance to outreach volunteers and Peer staff.
- Develop data collection tools and collect relevant data for the purposes of statistics, evaluation, and continuous improvement.
- Operate the “Neo Needle Exchange Information System” to enter data related to harm reduction supply delivery, referrals, information sharing, and drug trends.
- Respond to individuals experiencing crisis by meeting the individual “where they are at”, assisting them to identify choices available, and supporting their choice of action.
- Implement conflict resolution strategies when needed.
- Provide one on one practical support to service users within a drop-in setting and in the community.
- Maintain good relations with community services and business owners to enhance effective outreach strategies.
- Assemble and distribute harm reduction supplies in a drop-in setting and in the community.
- Fill out and distribute Bad Drug Reports and Bad Date Reports and alerts as appropriate.
- Participate in relevant committees related to harm reduction.
- Co-facilitate annual harm reduction workshops for external service providers.
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and daily debriefing meetings.
- Organize speakers and relevant workshop delivery within the drop in setting.
- Coordinate the condom bulk order annually and monitor its supply.
- College or University degree in social service or social work, or equivalent experience, with at least three years of experience working with high-risk clients with complex issues; experience in conflict management and emergency response.
- Three to five years’ experience in similar work environment.
- Excellent leadership and facilitating skills and experience.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certificates are required and must be kept current every three years.
- Current and clear vulnerable sector police check.
- Overdose Prevention Training Certificate, or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience and knowledge of drug using communities, Harm Reduction philosophy and strategies, and barriers that prevent drug users to accessing services.
- Strong understanding of the Health Promotion, Anti-oppression framework, the Community Health Centre model, and the impact of the Social Determinants of Health, and how these principles are applied in the program; experience in individual and systemic advocacy.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships based on trust and respect, including during emotionally charged or transitional times.
- Ability to maintain focused during crisis situations, involving clients, staff and peer workers, by assessing the situation, listening to various parties involved, providing emotional support to client, providing conflict resolution when necessary and developing a plan of action and referrals.
- Current knowledge and experience working from a harm reduction approach with active drug users, street involved persons, sex workers, and individuals involved with the legal/justice system in a drop in setting and in the community.
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively in a complex environment and organize time and workload effectively.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate others and nurture a positive and welcoming atmosphere.
- Ability to provide emotional and practical support to others experiencing grief and loss by listening and responding to individual, group, and community needs.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.• Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
- Knowledge of LAMP Community Health Centre, the South Etobicoke community, and/or a second language that is reflective of the community being served are all preferable assets.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Solid working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Strong skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint & Publisher).
- Strong skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- This position is for 35 hours per week, with some evenings and weekends required.
- Outdoor shifts, all seasons.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and make quick decisions.
- Participants served at the Drop-In may at times be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Participants served at the drop-in may at times exhibit challenging behaviours.
- It entails stress from working with challenging clients, and being confident and competent in dealing with clients in crisis, distress and dealing with trauma.
- Incumbent needs to attend to self-care, dealing with illness and death of clients.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice.
- There is an expectation for all employees to participate in two events per year for the agency; these events may be during the evening or on a weekend.
- Occasional data entry, with short periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- This position involves extended periods of walking and standing for up to 2 hours, and some frequent lifting may also be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
- Ensures that staff and clients are compliant with LAMP’s Health & Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures, including the immediate reporting of any breaches of Health & Safety or Environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to their respective manager/supervisor and/or the Manager, Human Resources.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
How to Apply
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Email Address │ email@example.com
Subject │ Job Opening for Harm Reduction Outreach Lead
Internal Deadline │ 5:00 pm on Friday January 18, 2019
External Deadline │ 5:00 pm on Friday January 25, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.