You are here
Harm Reduction Educator
Harm Reduction Educator
Contract Position: 28 hours per week
Contract Period: September 2019 to March 2020
Salary: $18.00 per hour to $24.12 per hour
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
Create a safe space for drug users to access harm reduction supplies and safer drug use education by staffing a Harm Reduction room and providing staffing support in Drop-in programs, as well as conducting street outreach.
The incumbent will ensure that all organizational policies are followed.
- Distribute drug using supplies from a harm reduction room, through street outreach and in drop-in settings.
- Monthly ordering of harm reduction supplies, stocking, and inventory.
- Safe disposal of used drug use supplies.
- Provide information/education related to safer drug use and proper drug use techniques.
- Access clients for drug use complications and make referrals as appropriate.
- Provide overdose prevention education, training, and workshop delivery to drug using communities and to service providers.
- Fill out and distribute Bad Drug Reports and alerts as appropriate.
- Set up and disassemble program space and workshop spaces.
- Develop positive, respectful relationships with service users.
- Respond to individuals experiencing crisis by meeting the individual “where they are at”, assisting them to identify choices available, and supporting their choice of action.
- Implement conflict resolution strategies when needed.
- Provide one on one practical support to service users.
- Collect relevant data for the purposes of statistics, evaluation, and continuous improvement.
- Provide information and referrals to internal and external programs and services.
- Participate in relevant internal/external committees related to harm reduction.
- Participate in team meetings, staff meetings, and daily debriefing meetings.
- Post-secondary education from a University or Community College in the area of Social Work, Addictions, Adult Education, and/or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience and knowledge of drug using communities and street involved populations, Harm Reduction philosophy and strategies, and barriers that prevent drug users to accessing services.
- Overdose Prevention Training Certificate, or equivalent experience.
- Strong understanding of the Health Promotion, Anti-oppression framework, the Community Health Centre model, and the impact of the Social Determinants of Health, and how these principles are applied in the program; experience in individual and systemic advocacy.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships based on trust and respect, including during emotionally charged or transitional times.
- Ability to maintain focused during crisis situations, involving clients, staff and peer workers, by assessing the situation, listening to various parties involved, providing emotional support to client, providing conflict resolution when necessary and developing a plan of action and referrals.
- Current knowledge and experience working from a harm reduction approach with active drug users, street involved persons, sex workers, and individuals involved with the legal/justice system.
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively in a complex environment and organize time and workload effectively.
- Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team oriented atmosphere.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certificates are required and must be kept current every three years.
- Current and clear vulnerable sector police check.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate others and nurture a positive and welcoming atmosphere.
- Ability to provide emotional and practical support to others experiencing grief and loss by listening and responding to individual, group, and community needs.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Basic working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Basic skills and experience using Microsoft Word & Outlook.
- Basic skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- This position is for 28 hours per week, with some evenings and weekends required.
- Involves outdoor shifts all seasons.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and make quick decisions.
- Participants served at the Drop-In may at times be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Service users may at time exhibit challenging behaviours.
- It entails stress from working with challenging clients, and being confident and competent in dealing with clients in crisis, distress and dealing with trauma.
- Incumbent needs to attend to self-care, dealing with illness and death of clients.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice. “Walk the talk.”
- There is an expectation for all employees to participate in two events per year for the agency; these events may be during the evening or on a weekend.
- Occasional data entry, with short periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- This position involves extended periods of walking and standing for up to 2 hours, and some frequent lifting may also be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
- Ensures that staff and clients are compliant with LAMP’s Health & Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures, including the immediate reporting of any breaches of Health & Safety or Environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to their respective manager/supervisor and/or the Director, Human Resources and Operations.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
How to Apply
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Email Address │ email@example.com
Subject │ Job Opening for Harm Reduction Educator
Internal Deadline │ 5:00 pm on Wednesday, September 11, 2019
External Deadline │ 5:00 pm on Wednesday, September 18, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.