FULL-TIME, 6 MONTH CONTRACT
SALARY RANGE: $38,877 - $45,738
South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
This position is expected to work onsite during the COVID-19 pandemic as required.
The Garden Facilitator is responsible to plan, facilitate and coordinate garden programs and services primarily at Harmony Community Food Centre (CFC) (2 Gower St.) and secondarily at the rooftop garden (955 Queen St. E.).
- Meet with Program Manager, Community Health and other CFC staff on a regular basis to identify programming needs, challenges and opportunities
- Develop monthly work plans for the community garden and garden group in consultation with staff and group participants, where needed
- In coordination with community group leads, plan and facilitate innovative, participatory sessions to be delivered in workshop room, rooftop garden, local school garden or community garden
- Conduct outreach to promote the garden group programs
- Ensure proper use and operation of composter, irrigation system, pollinator garden boxes, vertical gardens and other gardening-related tools and supplies
- Work with program staff to appropriately document garden use (narrative, stats and photos), and ensure records are up to date on a monthly basis
- Secure written permission from clients/staff prior to taking photos for communications strategies
- Ensure session rooms are set-up before and appropriately cleaned-up after each session
- Coordinate snack preparation for each gardening group with Kitchen Facilitator
- Where available, work with summer student to support gardening programs and activities
- Conduct evaluation of the garden programs with participants and program staff
- Prepare and submit reports to Program Manager as required by funding
- Assist with work involving food access, including meal preparation and the Good Food Market
- Participate in infection control measures throughout the facility
- Assist with front door screening of clients
- Complete SRCHC mandatory training, or as deemed appropriate to better support the group
- All other duties as required
- Minimum College Diploma, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with marginalized populations
- Skilled and experienced in planning and delivering evidence-based urban gardening programs, including rooftop gardens
- Strong understanding of group dynamics and process with an emphasis on primary principles of confidentiality, trust building and working knowledge of anti-oppression non-discrimination values
- Experience working with diverse populations and ages, from children to adults, including youth and seniors
- Demonstrated respect for diversity, equity and accessibility with the ability to work collaboratively and positively with others
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Fluency (read, write, and speak) in English
- Physical ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
- Ability to be available to work evenings and weekends as per organizational and program needs.
- A second language is an asset
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
How to Apply
The deadline for applicants is Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee - Garden Facilitator
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: email@example.com
Please enter “Garden Facilitator” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.