You are here
GLA:D Canada Certified Instructor
GLA:D Canada Certified Instructor
(Physiotherapist, Kinesiologist, Occupational Therapist)
7 month Contract Part-time position with possible extension
The Four Villages Community Health Centre’s mandate is to provide high quality, accessible primary health care to the community within its service area, in the context of the broader social determinants of health. Primary care, allied services and a wide range of health promotion programs are primarily aimed at seniors, families with young children, youth and newcomers. Staff collaborate in an inter-professional team environment. The focus is on the client and capacity building. Four Villages has two locations in the west end of Toronto. It is funded by the Toronto Central LHIN.
Good Life with osteoArthritis from Denmark (GLA:D®) is a program to help ease the pain and the physical limitations faced by those living with hip and knee osteoarthritis (OA). Developed and clinically tested in Denmark since 2012, GLA:D® is an education and tailored exercise program that has been demonstrated to reduce the symptoms of knee and hip OA by up to 27 per cent. This position is a shared position between 2 community health centers, The Four Villages Community Health Centre (Four Villages) and Stonegate Community Health Centre (Stonegate), and evenings and weekends may be required.
We are seeking one GLA:DTM Canada Certified Instructor(s) to deliver the program at Four Villages and Stonegate.
The instructor will work within the framework of the social determinants of health to provide client-centered care that emphasizes health promotion and disease prevention. The instructor will practice according to the standards of practice of their respective provincial college.
The instructor will work in partnership with other staff and management to support the vision, mission and values of the CHC.
- Deliver GLA:D ® program
- Administer identified outcome measures with group participants, at the start and the end of the group program
- Independently assess clients, prescribe exercises, progress exercises, modify exercises as appropriate and transition functional exercises to physical activity and ADLs.
- As needed, work with the staff at Four Villages and Stonegate CHCs regarding scheduling of programs, and process for referrals
- Complete documentation in EMR for each client and group program, and group documentation required
- Participate in meetings to discuss successes, challenges and barriers to program
- GLA:DTM Canada Certified
- Registered under the appropriate College
- Broad range of clinical experience (including chronic disease management) with different populations using a variety of modalities;
- Up-to-date knowledge, skills and ability to prescribe exercises
- Experience in a health care setting with preferred experience in the community, and a desire to work with low income individuals and multi-cultural communities
- Experience conducting exercise groups
- Excellent clinical, counselling and interpersonal skills
- A commitment to best practices, ongoing learning, and client centered and collaborative care
- A commitment to working from a community-based and health equity perspective
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an inter-professional team environment
- Demonstrated ability, commitment to and knowledge of community health care
- Experience in the use of computers and various software applications
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal skills with clients in a culturally diverse practice population, and with colleagues
- Excellent communication, decision-making, problem-solving, conflict management and time management skills
- Second language relevant to catchment area populations is an asset
Hours of work: 7 hours per week, split between 2 days, beginning September 2019
Salary: $37.52 per hour
Application Deadline: Monday, July 29th, 2019
Benefits: 4% of gross salary in lieu of vacation at the beginning of employment and 6% of gross salary in lieu of benefit after passing probation
How to Apply
Interested candidates should e-mail their resume along with a cover letter to: Director, Programs and Community Initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: GLA:D Certified Instructor) or fax to 416-604-3365.
We thank all the applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Four Villages Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve. Reasonable accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as per resources available to us. If you require any accommodation, please advise Human Resources Department.