You are here
Front Desk Receptionist
PARKDALE QUEEN WEST COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTRE
Is looking for a
Front Desk Receptionist – Internal/External Posting
1.0 FTE – Regular Full Time
at our Parkdale Site
Parkdale Queen West CHC is a non-profit registered charity, community-based health organization committed to improving the health of community members, particularly those at risk for poverty and discrimination. Our multi-disciplinary approach includes the provision of primary health/dental care, counselling, harm reduction, community development, advocacy, and innovative partnerships with other organizations. Parkdale Queen West is a leader in the development of inner-city health services focusing on the needs of homeless and street involved adults and youth, families, children and individuals living in the catchment area. Parkdale Queen West is a pro-choice and LGBTTQ and 2-Spirit -positive organization committed to employment equity and anti-discrimination. Our facilities are fully accessible.
The Front Desk Receptionist provides initial and ongoing personal and telephone contact for the Clinics’ clients, visitors and staff. Working with the Medical Secretary team to ensure the smooth operation of the reception function performs secretarial and administrative duties and assists other staff in their administrative and professional duties as required.
The Front Desk Receptionist reports to the Clinical and Admin Coordinator
- Assumes responsibility for opening and closing the Centre.
- Answers all incoming multi-line telephone inquiries, takes messages and ensures that messages are delivered to appropriate personnel.
- Greets visitors and clients to the Centre in a professional manner and is welcoming and helpful.
- Provides accurate and up to date information regarding PQWCHC program and service requests.
- Maintains an accurate and up to date resource and referral list for internal and external health and social services.
- Maintains the general organization of the reception area, including updating materials, information boards, etc.
- Distributes ID to clients who have applied for new ID through the ID clinic.
- Provides information regarding resources that are unavailable at PQWCHC.
- Problem solves a range of requests and competing priorities.
- Intervenes effectively with clients in crisis.
- Provides administrative support such as word processing, assistance with assembling reports, mail distribution, data entry, courier services, room booking.
- Assist CSW with washroom/reception area monitoring.
- Provide coverage for the Medical Secretary on an as needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned based on the needs of the organization.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Three to five years of Reception or Administrative support experience in a fast paced environment, preferably a community health care setting; or organizations that work with marginalized communities.
- Diploma in health or human services office administration or medical secretary certificate or relevant combination of academic preparation and demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Experience with a multi-line telephone system.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of the principles of harm reduction.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, and prioritize competing demands.
- Demonstrated experience in crisis prevention with clients who have escalated behaviours.
- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor in the midst of a crisis.
- Sensitivity to the life circumstances of people living in poverty and who may face mental health and addiction challenges.
- Ability to demonstrate a nonjudgmental attitude and ability to treat people respectfully regardless of their choices.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of principles of Access and Equity.
- Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records system (NOD) will be an asset.
Salary range: $37,825 - $45,540 with HOOPP and benefits
Please note that this is a UFCW Local 175 bargaining unit position. The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to participate in Parkdale Queen West’s commitment to becoming a discrimination-free health centre and an ability to work interdependently and respectfully in a multi-disciplinary team. Languages other than English are an asset. To better represent the communities we serve, applications from members of Aboriginal peoples, racial or cultural minority groups, people with disabilities and LGBTTQ and 2 spirit communities are encouraged to apply. Parkdale Queen West is fully accessible and AODA compliant; please advise if you need accommodation in the recruitment process. Parkdale Queen West CHC is in full compliance of the Ontario Human Rights Code and does not discriminate on the ground of records of offenses.
How to Apply
Please forward your cover letter and resume by 5:00 pm Monday December 17th, 2018 to:
Subject Line: CTCHC Job # PP 03
Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centres
168 Bathurst Street, Toronto ON M5V 2R4
We regret that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.