You are here
Family Settlement Worker
Family Settlement Worker
(Part-Time Permanent Contract; 17.5 hours/week)
Posting Number: 2019-001
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre (DPNCHC) is a multi-service community agency committed to furthering community development/capacity building and health promotion activities for all ages. A United Way Agency, the Centre specializes in programs ranging from early years to youth, isolated adults, health and seniors. The Early Years Settlement Worker provides support for newcomer families (status and non-status) by: identifying issues and concerns and implementing appropriate resources, referrals and responses. The core client/participant groups accessing Family Settlement Services at DPNCHC are Spanish and Portuguese speaking.
- Provide personalized and practical support, information, referral, follow up and advocacy with individuals on a variety of family settlement issues such as housing, health insurance, prenatal support, child care, school system, immigration, income programs, unemployment insurance, educational qualifications, employment and other issues as identified by the client
- Ensure services are accessible and effective by identifying appropriate resources and determining best delivery models for/with clients
- Provide discussion and mutual support groups/workshops on a variety of topics for clients/participants as needed (NSP related topics)
- Conduct outreach to the diverse local newcomer communities and regularly visit Early Years satellites to connect with newcomer families
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of community resources and network
- Develop partnerships with other service providers and with ethno-specific groups in the community to ensure access to programs and supports, and to prevent duplication of services
- Ensure follow-up systems are in place to determine clients needs are met and the continuity of services is maintained
- Assist in producing program and special project reports, as well as grant reports
- Maintain appropriate client records as determined by agency and funder
- Bachelor’s degree (social work, political science, international development, or similar) or 3 years equivalent experience
- Minimum three (3) years experience in community, health or settlement services
- Fluency in Spanish and/ or Portuguese is essential (verbal and written)
- Strong knowledge of issues affecting newcomer families with young children
- Proven knowledge of immigration, social, health, education, housing and employment issues/services
- Knowledge of current legislation and policies affecting refugees, immigrants and newcomers (documented and undocumented)
- Strong English communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Knowledge of Davenport West region and the DPNCHC community is an asset
Salary Range: $41,031 - $44,420 per annum, plus an extended health benefits package and HOOPP pension plan. This position is part of the bargaining unit.
How to Apply
Resume & cover letter to: 2019-001 firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 1900 Davenport Road, Toronto, ON M6N 1B7.
Internal Applicants: 5 pm, January 15, 2019
External Applicants: 5 pm, January 18, 2019
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre encourages applications from candidates, whose background is diverse in terms of culture, race, language, religion, class and gender /sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodation or any other special needs will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you require any accommodation, please advise Human Resources. As a condition of employment, all prospective employees will be required to undertake a Vulnerable Sector Screening with Police Services. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. DPNCHC is a perfume free environment.