You are here
Family Physician – Primary Care
Position Title: Family Physician – Primary Care
Status: Permanent Full Time, 1-year maternity leave contract (January 2020 – January 2021) (Open to Part Time Hours)
Hours of Work Schedule: Monday to Friday, preferably 35 hours a week, but open to flexible schedule
Position Reports to: Manager of Clinical Services, Primary Care
Primary work location: Oshawa and Pickering (with flexibility to work in other sites as required: Whitby and Ajax).
Organization – Quick Overview
Carea Community Health Centre is a recognized leader in redefining the experience of community-based health and wellness services. We provide access to high quality holistic and inclusive care that is responsive to the needs of the community and empowers individuals to enhance their own well-being. We hold these values equally: (1) Person Centered; (2) Inclusive; (3) Compassion; (4) Teamwork & Collaboration; and (5) Accountability & Reliability. These five core values embody who we are, how we work, and are fundamental to our culture. Every member of our team demonstrates their commitment to these core values in their everyday activities. These values steer our decision making, guide the delivery of care and services, and govern how we interact with our clients, partners, and each other. Carea will continue to focus on building its capacity to provide a full range of health and wellness services to clients of all-ages across Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering.
The Physician will provide comprehensive primary health care that emphasizes accessibility, health promotion, illness- prevention and continuity-of-care for clients with complex physical and mental health needs. The Physician recognizes that the primary factors that shape the health of our clients are not medical treatments or lifestyle choices but rather the living conditions that our clients experience – the social determinants of health.
In addition to alignment with the principles and guidelines of practice and duties of physicians under the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) and the College of Family Physicians of Ontario (CFPO), the Physician will also be an effective, collaborative member of the Carea CHC’s collaborative, inter-professional team structure, providing clinical services to marginalised and at-risk members of the communities Carea serves. The Physician will demonstrate leadership skills to champion and support goals that align with and achieve Carea CHC’s Strategy, Vision, Mission and Values, internally and externally.
Benefits of working at Carea:
- For the most part, Carea employees work a standard day shift, Monday to Friday with 2 evening shifts per week until 8pm.
- Annual salary
- Competitive benefits – Health, Dental, Vision Care (for permanent employees)
- HOOPP benefits – Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
- Paid vacation starting at 4 weeks per year (for permanent employees)
- Provide client-centred primary care to individuals and families in a non-judgemental manner, recognizing the social determinants of health and associated health risks – taking the stance of a health advocate.
- Perform assessment, screening, diagnosis, health education/counselling and appropriate, comprehensive treatment – within full scope of practice as defined by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) and The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO).
- Provide medical services that address the biopsychosocial needs of clients, including clients with multiple comorbid health conditions, mental health diagnoses and/or concurrent disorders involving substance use/abuse.
- Ensure patient care and caseload is managed to achieve the goals of Carea CHC’s Multi-Sector Service Accountability Agreement (MSAA) indicator targets and with the Central-East Local Health Integration Network (CE-LHIN).
- Participate in the development and implementation of telemedicine through the suite of services available through the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN) – communicating with clients, connecting with peers and specialists.
- Actively participate, seek and provide consultation within an interdisciplinary model of care which includes – among others – fellow physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses and Therapists practicing from both Social Work and Psychotherapy framework.
- Actively participate, seek and provide consultation with external health service providers in the client’s circle-of-care.
- Adhere to and promote evidence-based practices and standards of best-practice.
- Actively participate in case conferences when required.
- Complete timely and accurate medical records of client encounters, documentation and third-party correspondence using Carea CHC’s Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system: Nightingale-on-Demand (NOD). Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word) is an asset.
- Provide after hours on-call duties on a rotating (shared) basis with other members of the clinical services team.
- May be required to conduct home visits from time-to-time and to work from satellite clinic locations within Carea CHC’s service area.
- Flexibility to work from any of Carea CHC’s clinical locations in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax or Pickering.
- Flexibility to work or drive to meetings at any of Carea's clinical locations in our service area, as required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with at least one evening per week.
- Perform other duties as assigned that are reasonable with the scope of practice.
Education & Professional Development
- Provide clinical supervision and training for medical students.
- Demonstrate active participation in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) via College of Family Physicians’ Mainpro+ (Maintenance of Proficiency) system and with Carea CHC’s performance management requirements.
Administrative & Organizational Responsibilities
- Participate in chart reviews, development and implementation of Quality Improvement Plans (QIP) and accreditation activities with Canadian Centre for Accreditation (CCA).
- Participate in community outreach and health promotion activities from time-to-time as a member of the collaborative interdisciplinary team.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of medical directives and protocols.
- Participate in the design, implementation and evaluation of research studies that Carea CHC may participate in, from time-to-time, in the course of our developing relationships with the universities and/or as providers of clinical student placements.
- Participate in other Carea CHC agency training activities and meetings as requested.
- Medical Degree and postgraduate Family Medicine training.
- Certification in the College of Family Physicians (CCFP).
- Certificate of Registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) – in good-standing and adhering to the Policies and Principles of Practice and Duties.
- Minimum of two years’ experience working as a primary care Physician with clients having complex needs.
- Experience working in a CHC setting or other community practice is an asset.
- Experience working with communities and individuals who face barriers accessing traditional health care institutions.
- Demonstrated excellent problem-solving, organizational and interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively and respectfully in a collaborative, interprofessional team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with clients in a manner that can be effectively understood – practicing active listening skills to understand client needs and coaching of clients as collaborative partners in their health care.
- Evidence of malpractice insurance through the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA).
- Valid Ontario Driver's license.
How to Apply
1) Please send resume and cover letter/expression of interest to email@example.com on or by January 31, 2020.
2) While we thank all applicants for their interest in applying, only those qualified and considered for interview will be contacted. All applicant submissions will be kept on file for six months, for future consideration.
3) All applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
1) The Agency is committed to transparent and merit-based selection in all of its recruiting and hiring decisions. We embrace and celebrate our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity.
2) This position is subject to the successful completion of the following pre-employment conditions for all external hires: Reference Checks; and Criminal Background checks (including Vulnerable Sector Screening). We welcome internal referrals and, depending on needs, may conduct an external search concurrent with internal posting.
Carea Community Health Centre is committed to complying with all applicable standards as set out in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), the provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code, and any other applicable legislation. Accessibility: If you have accessibility needs and require alternate formats or other accommodations please contact Human Resources at 905-723-0036 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Carea Community Health Centre and staff are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes diversity. Everyone Matters! Everyone is Welcome!