You are here
Director, Human Resources and Talent Management
Position Title: Director, Human Resources and Talent Management
Employment Status: Permanent Full-Time
Hours of Work Schedule: Standard 35 hours weekly (some overtime may be required)
Compensation: Salary is commensurate on skills and experience, plus applicable benefits including HOOPP.
Position Reports To: Lee Kierstead, Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Primary Location: 115 Grassmere Avenue, Oshawa
Carea Community Health Centre will be the recognized leader in redefining the experience of community based health and wellness services. We provide access to high quality holistic and inclusive care that is responsive to the needs of the community and empowers individuals to enhance their own well-being. We hold these values equally: (1) Person Centered; (2) Inclusive; (3) Compassion; (4) Teamwork & Collaboration; and (5) Accountability & Reliability. These five core values embody who we are, how we work, and are fundamental to our culture. Every member of our team demonstrates their commitment to these core values in their everyday activities. These values steer our decision making, guide the delivery of care and services, and govern how we interact with our clients, partners, and each other. Carea will continue to focus on building its capacity to provide a full range of health and wellness services to clients of all-ages across Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering.
Reporting to CAREA’s CEO, the Director, Human Resources and Talent Management, will respect the requirement to maintain a confidential relationship with all employees while serving as a member of the Leadership Team. This position will be responsible for providing strategic leadership on Talent Management initiatives and delivering on the key human resources priorities in support of the organization’s Vision, Mission and Values. At an operational leadership level, this position is responsible for recruitment; employee and labour relations, collective bargaining and agreement administration; policy development; employee benefits; total compensation and pay equity; health and safety; staff training and development; human resources information management, the HR budget and governance/compliance for all HR-related matters. The Director will develop inspired solutions that strengthen CAREA’s talent and champion a vibrant, effective and engaged organizational culture.
Strategy and Governance
- Facilitates the development, adoption and evaluation of the organization’s Human Resources Strategic Plan.
- Provides HR strategic leadership to all levels of management, including strategic counsel on all people matters.
- Promotes the organization’s values to align with CAREA’s strategic direction towards client-centric care.
- Supports operational initiatives that promotes CAREA’s talent strategies.
- Supports the CEO’s reporting relationship to the Board on Human Resources and Talent Management matters.
- Ensures appropriate succession planning/leadership development and transformational strategies are in place to support the advancement of an efficient, effective and growing organization.
- Partners with all employees to facilitate continuous process improvement through the application of effective change management methodologies.
- Champions employee communications and feedback through avenues such as employee focus groups, suggestions programs, engagement surveys, newsletters, intranet site use, etc.
- Acts as the key Steward and Ambassador of Carea’s culture so that it supports a values driven and engaged workforce.
- Keeps the CEO and Leadership Team informed of people issues that jeopardize the achievement of Carea’s goals and assists line management in their resolution.
Human Resources Department Management
- Develops and leads Carea’s HR department and its related operations to ensure effective HR processes.
- Supervises the Human Resources Administrative Specialist, applicable external contractors and any interim resources to enable CAREA to execute and report on its talent management processes.
- Manages and effective interface between the Finance Payroll and Human Resources team.
- Creates and manages the HR department’s annual budget in collaboration with the Leadership Team.
- Develops and maintains a best practice talent management framework (Bersin model, TM by Deloitte).
- Consults with Management to gain insights on programs required to meet their needs and readiness to implement.
- Develops and applies employee engagement strategies, techniques and tools to foster a culture of quality, accountability and superior performance.
- Develops a relevant metrics reporting framework with tools that enable analyses of trends to develop improved talent management solutions, programs and policies.
- Establishes and maintains harmonious relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including union leadership.
- Actively participates in all local Collective Agreement negotiations and leads/directs research regarding the costing of collective agreement bargaining proposals.
- Acts as lead advisor and Carea’s representative to legal counsel for human resources and labour relations matters.
- Interprets and administers collective agreements and directs the preparation of materials for arbitration, tribunals and court proceedings.
- Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations; representative lead for labour relations issues management.
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships (coaching, counseling, career development, etc.) as necessary to resolve complex workforce relations matters.
Occupational Health and Safety
- Collaborates collegially with organization wide committees such as wellness, health and safety, diversity, AODA.
- Performs the role of Joint Health and Safety Officer for the organization.
- Recommends health and benefits designs to provide maximum employee and organizational value while supporting wellness initiatives and employee choice.
Policy Oversight and legislative Compliance
- Develops and implements effective HR policies and procedures that are easily understood and consistently applied.
- Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation with an eye to continually improving policy clarity.
- Develops and maintains total compensation programs that are internally equitable, externally competitive and financially feasible.
- Ensures compliance with all human resources related legislation.
- Leads Self; Engages Others; Achieves Results; Develops Coalitions; Systems Transformation
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business or relevant Organizational Management / Human Resources degree required.
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible Human Resources experience; minimum 5 years of management level labour relations experience including collective agreement negotiations, interpretations, application, implementation and administration is required.
- Expertise with overall employee relations and human resources consulting on all aspects of the employment cycle.
- Expert knowledge of employment legislation and its application.
- Strong project management skills with a track record of recommending change and implementing new systems.
- Exposure to Lean management philosophy and tools to enhance efficiencies and performance would be an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Talent Management Systems - preferably with HRIS and Scheduling Software systems.
Minimum Key Attributes include: Service-oriented, Collaborative, Team Player, Results-oriented, Accountable, Initiative-taking, Flexible, Adaptable, Collaborative, Effective Communication Skills, Ability to manage risk within one’s responsibility and accountability.
Role-specific attributes: In addition, the following are the role-specific attributes: Stakeholder Focus, Leadership, Team Builder, Developer of Others, Strong Planning & Organizing, Innovative, Relationship Management/Builder, Alliance Builder, Creative & Innovative Thinker, Analytical/Systematic, Change Management Skills, Risk Management Skills, and Technical Skills in the area of accountability.
Working Conditions – Physical/Sensory/ Mental Demands Analysis:
- Stress involved with hitting tight deadlines with the possibility of evening and weekend work.
- Travel between CAREA sites is common and required.
- Working conditions are consistent with an indoor office environment.
How to Apply
- For all applicants, please send resume and expression of interest/cover letter to email@example.com on or before March 16, 2018.
- While we thank all applicants for their interest in applying, only those qualified and considered for interview will be contacted. All applicant submissions will be kept on file for six months, for future consideration.
- Applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
- All positions are subject to the successful completion of the following pre-employment conditions for all external hires: Reference Checks; and Criminal Background checks (including Vulnerable Sector Screening).
Carea is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code,Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Carea’s policies on accommodation, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the recruitment/hiring process. To avoid any delays in the recruitment process, if you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, you must provide your accommodation needs in advance. You may also be required to submit adequate medical/other documentation to Human Resources to support your request for accommodation.
If you have accessibility needs and require alternate formats or other accommodations please contact Paula Carter, Resource Development and Communications Manager at 905-723-0036, extension 1229, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Carea Community Health Centre and staff are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes diversity. Every One Matters! Every One is Welcome!