You are here
Diabetes Nurse Educator
Diabetes Nurse Educator - Community Diabetes Education Program of Ottawa (CDEPO)
(Two Available Positions with flexibility for Full Time / Part-Time)
Centretown Community Health Centre (CCHC)
Working closely with the Diabetes Dietitian Educator, the Nurse is responsible for the delivery and promotion of the Community Diabetes Education Program of Ottawa in the City of Ottawa. Using a self-management approach, the Nurse provides group and individual education to adults with diabetes, primarily prediabetes or type 2 diabetes, starts them on insulin and assists them with titration. The nurse works collaboratively with CHC and community physicians and endocrinologists especially around insulin initiation and management. In addition, the nurse collaborates with other CCHC teams where appropriate and refers internally and externally as needed.
As this is a city-wide program, work location may be at any of our program sites.
- Bachelor degree Nursing or equivalent.
- Possession of, or eligibility for, registration with College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Two years of experience in diabetes education
- Experience in group facilitation and knowledge of adult education principles.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with Windows-based computer systems, in particular, basic email and MS Word.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a multi disciplinary team.
- Experience and sensitivity to the needs of diverse populations.
- Experience working in a community setting including outreach activities.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Certification as a Diabetes Educator.
- Experience with insulin education and management.
- Membership in the Diabetes Educator Section of Diabetes Canada.
- Ability to communicate in another language is a strong asset (e.g. Arabic, Somali, Spanish, and French are priorities)
English, written and spoken
Salary range: $62,087-$74,804/year
Pension and Benefits: Excellent benefits package including Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
How to Apply
To apply, submit your letter of interest and résumé to email@example.com by June 7, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants invited to an interview will be contacted.
Candidates that require any accommodations during the application process please notify Human Resources as per the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.