You are here
Diabetes Educator-Registered Nurse
Rexdale Community Health Centre
Job Posting: Diabetes Educator-Registered Nurse
The Rexdale Community Health Centre (the “Centre) is a multi-service Centre providing an important array of primary health care, settlement, community support, health promotion and community development activities to a diverse community with a focus on women, families, youth and seniors. The Centre is currently recruiting a Diabetes Educator-Registered Nurse to work with a dynamic Diabetes Education team within our Primary Care department.
Diabetes Educator-Registered Nurse works in partnership with a Registered Dietitian and within a multidisciplinary team to provide care to primary care to clients with diabetes. The DEP-RN will also provide individual diabetes education counselling, community outreach and health promotion/education to individuals, families and the community.
The position reports to the Manager of Chronic Disease Management and Prevention.
- Perform assessments, health education/counselling, history taking and other clinical activities according the College of Nurses of Ontario Standards of nursing practices
- Perform motivational interviewing, to support and improve self-management and goal setting, Clinical and Administrative
- Review client clients blood glucose and determine effects of activity, food and insulin on blood sugar readings
- Determine how different types of insulin affect blood glucose readings and make appropriate insulin adjustment as allowed by department insulin adjustment policy
- Use the Proshaska model to change and access client readiness to change behaviour and in collaboration with client, develop appropriate teaching plan
- Apply the principles of adult education when teaching clients on a 1-on-1 basis or with group teaching sessions
- Formulate teaching care plans with clients/families while being sensitive to the cultural, ethnic and psychological diversities
- Provide in-service education to Centre staff and other community agencies requesting diabetes education
- Ordering medical supplies and maintaining inventory
- Contribute to chart documentation, participate in chart reviews and case conferences, and make referrals
- Ensure resources, materials and equipment are maintained
- Work with the primary care team and other health centre teams to identify and take action on community health issues
- Current certification as a Registered Nurse and good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) or eligibility to write the exam within 2 years
- At least 2 years of experience in primary care nursing in a community based setting; and understanding of health promotion
- Interest in diabetes education and knowledge of current diabetes management strategies
- Ability to self-direct, work independently as well as part of the diabetes education team and the multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated organizational skills with an ability to set priorities and work effectively in a fast paced ambulatory setting
- Excellent communication, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Willingness to travel between main office and Satellite offices as needed
- Bachelor of Nursing Degree
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of medical and laboratory terminology, medical record procedures, charting, and current health and safety hazards and preventative practices
- Knowledge of appointment scheduling, using software (i.e. Nightingale, NOD)
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the health issues of a diverse community
- Ability to speak a second language (i.e., Punjabi, Spanish, Hindi, Somali, Twi, Urdu, etc.)
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and Saturdays
- Knowledge of the Rexdale Community Health Centre catchment area is an asset
Salary: $59,530 to $71,720 annually (depending on experience), plus benefits and HOOPP
Hours per week: 35 hours per week
Starting date: ASAP
Status: Non-unionized position
How to Apply
Closing date for applicants: March 25, 2019
Please apply in confidence to:
Human Resources Generalist
Please quote “DEP-RN” in subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants; only those invited to interviews will be contacted.
Please note this is a unionized environment-UFCW Locals 175 and 633
The Rexdale Community Health Centre is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from people representing the diverse community we serve. Rexdale CHC strives to create a respectful, accessible, and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview, or selection processes please contact Human Resources at Liberty.Hacala@rexdalechc.com for assistance.