You are here
Community Support Worker
Community Support Worker
ASK! Community Information Centre
Relief Position: No guarantee of hours
Salary Range: $18.28 per hour to $21.92 per hour
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
Under the supervision of the Program Supervisor and working within the overall objectives of the program, the Community Support Worker delivers and supports the ASK! Community Information Program. Will provide referrals, advocacy, newcomer settlement information, and related information on programs/services to help empower and build healthier and stronger individuals, families and community. Assists in the updating and maintenance of ASK!’s client and community information resources and systems.
The incumbent will ensure that all organizational policies are followed.
- Staffs the main ASK! community information and referral desk.
- Determines and assesses the need(s) of each client and respond appropriately, providing accurate and up-to-date information, advocacy and referrals to LAMP and community services and resources.
- Provides delivery and support of ASK! Clinics and Services including: Government Form Filling, Immigrant and Refugee Settlement Support Services, Summary Legal Clinic, True Copy/Affidavit Clinic, Toronto Employment and Social Services Clinic, Income Tax Clinic, TTC Support, Infant Emergency Food Support Program.
- Completes Service Agreements with clients.
- Downloads phone messages throughout the day and responds appropriately in a timely manner.
- Opens and maintains up-to-date client files, as needed.
- Completes and maintains accurate, legible and timely client, program & LAMP records including files and statistical records.
- Assists in updating and maintenance of client and community information files and records. Shares new or updated information with staff in a timely manner.
- Provides on-going support to volunteers, student placements and new staff.
- Provides back-up and support to the ASK! Settlement Program, consulting on client issues, recording/sharing service delivery information regarding settlement clients.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships within LAMP and the Community.
- Provides clerical and administrative support and assists with special projects as assigned.
- Assists in maintaining ASK! Program reception, storage and supply areas, community information resources, applications, forms, publications, supplies, etc.
- Participates in Team Meetings and Special ASK! and LAMP Events.
- Post-Secondary education: i.e. Social Services, Community Worker, or equivalent experience.
- Must have a minimum of two years’ experience in front-line client service delivery with an in-depth knowledge/understanding of government and community services, resources and systems.
- Excellent client service delivery skills; needs assessment, interview, goal setting, effective communication, crisis intervention, follow-up, and problem solving skills.
- Positive attitude, flexible and dependable with excellent multi-tasking and organization skills.
- Non-judgemental and open; possesses a sensitivity and an ability to work with diverse client groups (socio-economic, cultural and health) within an anti-discrimination framework.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively across all levels of the organization’s diverse workforce.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
- Self-motivated and outcome oriented with the ability to work both independently and in as a contributing member of the team.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
- Knowledge of LAMP Community Health Centre, the South Etobicoke community, and/or a second language that is reflective of the community being served are all preferable assets.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Solid working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Strong skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, and Excel).
- Strong skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- Faced paced environment, requires a high level of multi-tasking, task shifting, including responding promptly to all communication.
- Ability to work under pressure in an unpredictable environment. Often high volume of service demand, challenging clients, incoming calls, drop-in clients and clients with appointments.
- Staff team is comprised of paid staff, placement students, and volunteers.
- Must demonstrate understanding, patience and confidence when working with diverse and challenging client needs and issues: language, literacy, mental /physical health, homelessness, poverty, hygiene, abuse, etc.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice.
- There is an expectation for all employees to participate in two events per year for the agency; these events may be during the evening or on a weekend.
- Some data entry, with extended periods of time sitting stationary during client service delivery and in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Occasional standing for extended periods of time and some occasional lifting and carrying may be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
- Ensures that staff and clients are compliant with LAMP’s Health & Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures, including the immediate reporting of any breaches of Health & Safety or Environmental incidents, accidents or concerns to their respective manager/supervisor and/or the Director, Human Resources and Operations.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
How to Apply
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Email Address │ firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject │ Job Opening for Community Support Worker, ASK!
External Deadline │ 5:00 pm on Monday March 25, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.