You are here
Community Programs Assistant –APOD Hub and Barrington Site
Title: CSJ –Community Programs Assistant –APOD Hub and Barrington Site (5 positions available)
Posting Date: 2019/05/13
Expiry Date: 2019/05/24
Posting Type: External
Contract Type: Summer Contract
Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services is a Community Health Centre that aims to improve health outcomes for the most vulnerable immigrants, refugees, and their communities. We do this by facilitating access to services and addressing systemic inequities. The Centre envisions a future in which diverse individuals, families and communities can achieve health with dignity.
NOTE: To be eligible to apply for this position you must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
These positions are funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. As such, applicants must meet the requirements indicated above; and applications from individuals who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ communities, is highly encouraged.
We are looking for dynamic and creative individuals, who are familiar with the Taylor Massey, Oakridge Neighbourhood in the East. The Community Programs Assistants will provide support to program lead staff in a variety of Community Health and Wellness Programs including but not limited to child and family, seniors, community dining program, and community resource center. Tasks include assisting with coordination of programs, creating program materials, assisting with implementation of outreach plan, providing information and connecting clients to programs, working in team with volunteers and staff, and assisting with administrative aspects of the program such as client registrations, permission forms, collecting evaluations, tracking TTC and volunteer hours.
We are hiring for 2 positions to be located at 91 Barrington Site and 3 positions to be located at AccessPoint on Danforth Hub.
Interviews will take place on the week of May 27. Positions start on June 10 and/or June 24.
- Provide assistance and support to the coordination of programs, services and events.
- Conduct outreach to the community, provide information and promote programs and activities.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment, orientation and support to volunteers
- Support administrative aspects of programs, including registrations, permission forms, attendance, report writing, evaluations, program documentation
- Work with team and with other departments to provide collaborative programming
- Provide non-judgmental, inclusive support to program participants
- Other duties, relevant to the position, as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- To be a student in one of the following areas of study: early childhood education, health studies, health promotion, public health, women and children’s studies, social work, social service worker, community development, sociology or related fields.
- Understanding social determinants of health and issues faced by vulnerable communities;
- Experience promoting programs and conducting outreach;
- Familiar with Taylor Massey neighbourhood, including Crescent Town, Teesdale and Oakridge neighbourhoods (east end);
- Commitment to work from an integrated anti-oppression framework;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to plan and organize activities;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and creativity;
- Computer proficiency, including word processing, internet, spreadsheets, MS office, publisher, PowerPoint;
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- A second language is an asset (particularly Bengali, Somali, Arabic, Urdu, Tigrinya, Tagalog, Farsi, Dari, Spanish, Amharic)
- Willingness to travel and provide services throughout the City, and to work evenings and weekends
Salary: $14 per hour
Hours: 30 per week
Duration: 09 weeks (3 positions) and 12 weeks (2 positions)
Location: Barrington satellite location – 91 Barrington Ave East satellite location AccessPoint on Danforth ( 3079 Danforth Avenue)
Bargaining Unit: This position excluded from the bargaining unit.
How to Apply
With “Community Programs Assistant –APOD Hub and Barrington” in the subject heading, please send your resume and cover letter by May 24th, 2019 5:00pm to:
by E-mail: email@example.com
by Regular Mail: Hiring Committee, Community Programs Assistant Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services 340 College Street, Suite 500, Toronto, ON, M5T 3A9
No phone calls please
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will receive acknowledgement. Please note that a criminal background check (Vulnerable sector) will be conducted for this position.
We encourage applications from individuals who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQ communities.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Access Alliance encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.