You are here
Community Health Nurse
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands Community Health Centre provides primary healthcare to racialized women from the African, Black, Caribbean, Latin American and South Asian communities in Toronto and surrounding municipalities. We are committed to working from an inclusive feminist, pro-choice, anti-racist, anti-oppression, and multilingual participatory framework.
The Centre offers the following opportunity for a professional, motivated and dynamic individual to join the team.
COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSE
Position start date: ASAP
ACCOUNTABILITIES - KEY
- Assisting the woman in defining her own health needs by conducting a comprehensive needs assessment including a holistic health examination, appropriate screening, counselling and diagnostic tests.
- Providing supportive primary health care, clinical counselling and crisis intervention when necessary.
- Performing basic nursing procedures [e.g. dressings, injections, etc.].
- Performing added nursing skills as outlined by the Controlled Act set by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Perform physical assessments, triage, health education/counselling, history taking, and other clinical activities according to the College of Nurses of Ontario standards of nursing practice.
- Collaborating with physicians for prescription ordering, reviewing of medications with centre users.
- Ensuring appropriate, comprehensive care is delivered through the maintenance of complete and accurate electronic medical records, participating in chart reviews and discussions and dealing with women’s enquiries.
- Initiating and/or participating in care planning case conferences with other WHIWH staff and community agencies [clinical and non-clinical] to ensure coordination of services to women as appropriate.
- Provide screening and intake assessments for new clients including appropriate referral to health care providers and allied health: family doctors, midwifery care, obstetrics, social work, mental health therapy etc.
- Facilitate group education classes for prenatal and postnatal clients.
- Develop educational resources in collaboration with inter-disciplinary team; provide consultation to clients and clinical team to manage client’s living with chronic conditions.
- Participate in mental health rounds and assist in care coordination of clients with mental health conditions.
- Membership and collaboration as part of committees that may include Health and Safety, Quality Improvement, Mental Health or other task groups as assigned.
- Contribute to chart documentation, participate in chart reviews and case conferences, and make referrals.
- Participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of treatment, education, counselling and health promotion programs and services for individuals, groups and the community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Current registration and license with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a recognized university.
- Member of RNAO.
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency in current nursing physical assessment and treatment methods.
- Three to five years’ experience in primary care nursing preferred.
- Demonstrate knowledge of health promotion.
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Experience with group facilitation.
- Experience with prenatal and postnatal health education is an asset.
- The ability to speak Spanish or any South Asian Language is an asset.
This position reports to the Director of Primary Health Care Services.
How to Apply
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands offers a competitive salary and benefits, along with a multidisciplinary team environment where work-life balance is valued and practiced.
To apply for this challenging opportunity in a dynamic organization please forward your resume and cover letter with subject line: Community Health Nurse to the attention of:
Human Resources Department
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands Community Health Centre
2 Carlton St. Suite 500
Posting Date: December 2, 2019
Closing Date: December 13, 2019
Please send a single file in MS Word or PDF format only.
WHIWH, CHC is committed to reflecting the diversity of the communities it serves and we strongly encourage applicants who reflect Toronto’s ethnic and cultural diversity and our priority populations. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified candidates
Accommodation will be provided on request
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.