You are here
Community Health Nurse
Community Health Nurse - Primary Health Care
Full time permanent - 35 hours per week
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Operating out of five locations, Unison offers core services that include primary health care, counselling, health promotion, prenatal and parenting programs, legal services, harm reduction programs, housing assistance, adult protective services, Pathways to Education and a Diabetes Education Program. Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change.
Unison Health & Community Services is committed to working from an inclusive, sex positive, harm reduction, anti-racist, anti-oppression and participatory framework.
We are seeking a candidate for the position of Community Health Nurse to join the Primary Health Care team based at our Jane-Trethewey site. The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong background in clinical primary care, experience in health teaching, advocacy and health promotion. Work hours will include one evening per week and one Saturday per month.
- Provision of individual primary care including wellness assessments across the lifespan, immunization, chronic disease monitoring, triage, counselling, advocacy and care of minor episodic illnesses
- Health teaching to individuals
- Working collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Participation in team meetings and centre-wide initiatives
- Performance of administrative tasks
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario with no restrictions to practice
- Member of RNAO with malpractice coverage
- Baccalaureate degree or equivalent experience
- Strong clinical assessment skills
- Strong documentation and communication skills
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
- Sensitivity to the impact of social health determinants on a diverse, urban, low-income community
- Sensitivity to and knowledge of the needs of a multicultural, multiracial community
- Experience serving Unison’s priority populations (people with mental health and addictions, seniors with complex needs, LGBTTQ+, and youth facing barriers)
- Ability to work one evening shift per week and one Saturday shift per month
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to email their résumé with covering letter by 4:00 pm on March 25, 2019 to:
Hiring Committee, Community Health Nurse
Unison Health and Community Services
Please cite UN_2019_007 in the subject line of the email
We welcome applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve, including those who might need accommodation.
Where needed, accommodations for applicants with disabilities will be provided on request, to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment process.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.